About This Toot
Prices and Other Details
Old Summer Toots
8th Summer Toot - 2006
The Summer Toot is privileged to offer an outstanding faculty of both local
and guest instructors for our participants. This section includes
biographical information on each of the individuals or ensembles teaching
at the Toot this year.
Our Guest Faculty from Afar
At the Texas Toot Summer 2006, Bart Spanhove will be teaching
- The art of ensemble playing, according to Bart's book, "The Finishing Touch of Ensemble Playing"; all levels.
- 20th century repertoire class: Geysen, repetitive music, solo works, duo, trio; for intermediate to advanced
- Recorder Consort: The music of Dowland and Holborne; for intermediate to advanced
At the Texas Toot Summer 2006, Han Tol will be teaching
- "Fantasy" according to Telemann: the Telemann Fantasies newly approached, for advanced players
- Recorder choir: for all
- Master Class: Italian and English style for advanced soloists
At the Texas Toot Summer 2006, Joris van Goethem will be teaching
- Mixed ensemble for recorders, reeds, viols; for intermediate level
- Advanced Consort: Italian repertoire for recorders
- Masterclass: Baroque duets; for advanced level players
At the Texas Toot Summer 2006, Paul van Loey will be teaching
- Practicing the recorder: specific techniques for warming up and improving use of tongue and fingers, breathing/tone, playing in tune, sight reading, analysis, ways to drill difficult passages, playing "slow" movements/pieces, best use of your metronome, practicing without the recorder. For intermediate players down through actually-having-started-a-bit.
- Advanced Consort: English repertoire (Renaissance/Early Baroque)
- 20th century repertoire class: for upper-intermediate to advanced players
At the Texas Toot Summer 2006, Ros Morley will teach
- Slow dancing: Dance music in 5 and 6 parts: intermediate — doubling
- The year 1588: in England and Italy: intermediate — 1 per part
- Everyone's favorites: Byrd, Jenkins and Lawes: high intermediate and advanced — 1 per part
- Sounds from the Piazza: Music of Venice: high intermediate and advanced — 1 per part
At this Summer's Toot, Karen will be leading
- Fiddle band: for violins, violas, viols; intermediate and up
At the Texas Toot Summer 2006, Tom Zajac will teach
- Thomas' English House Party: A pleasing collection of phansies, roundelais, freemen's songs, drinking songs, love ditties and miscellany from the three extremely popular collections of Thomas Ravenscroft: Pammelia, Deuteromalia and Melismata. For any and all voices and instruments.
- Music from the Court of Ercole I of Ferrara: Music from the dawn of the Renaissance, from the court of the great late-15th-Century patron of music. Will include music of, among others, Josquin, Isaac and Obrecht. For upper intermediate singers, viols, recorders, harps, lutes.
- The Italian-English Connection: Music by English composers who worked in Italy, and Italian composers who worked in England. For upper intermediate singers, viols, recorders, pluckies
- Italian and English loud band: shawms, sackbuts, cornetti; intermediate to advanced.
At the Texas Toot Summer 2006, Becky Baxter will be teaching
- Harp technique and warm-ups: for all levels
- Monteverdi for harps: spreading chords and improvisation in the early Italian Baroque; for all levels
- Italian dance music: arranging (intabulating for harp) and part playing in the Italian renaissance; for all levels
- Medieval English Song Accompaniment for Harps; for all levels
At this Summer's Toot, Bruce will offer
- Lute technique for all levels
- Italian dances for lute ensemble; all levels except beginner.
- English and Italian lute song masterclass: (with Amy Brumley) Renaissance and Baroque repertoire with lute or theorbo accompaniment; singers will bring pieces to work on, which lutenists will learn. Intermediate to advanced players.
This Summer, James will be teaching
- Mostly Monteverdi: 5-part viol music; intermediate and up — doubling
- Gibbons: 5-part music: intermediate — doubling, with surprise guest vocalists
- Purcell: 5- and 6-part music: high intermediate and advanced — 1 per part, instructor plays when 6 parts
This summer, Johnson will be teaching
- English and Italian Madrigals, for 2-5 voices, intermediate level. All are welcome to this relaxing and fun class.
This summer, Keith Womer will be teaching
- Harpsichord 101: an introduction to the harpsichord: its history, its construction, how to make sound on the instrument, ornamentation, fingering, and literature. Students are encouraged to bring 2-3 pieces, even very simple ones. Please contact instructor for suggestions.
- The Baroque Duet: (with Amy Brumley) Vocal duets by Monteverdi, Purcell, etc. with keyboard accompaniment (nothing to prepare in advance).
- Master classes: harpsichord students will also be working with vocal and instrumental master classes and receive coaching on accompaniment.
This summer, Amy will be teaching
- English and Italian lute song masterclass: (with Bruce Brogdon) Songs of Dowland, Campion, Monteverdi, Caccini etc., with lute tablature or basso continuo accompaniment. Singers should prepare at least two pieces and bring several copies.
- The Baroque Duet: (with Keith Womer) Vocal duets by Monteverdi, Purcell, etc. with keyboard accompaniment (nothing to prepare in advance).
- "The Faithful Pilgrim Lover", fully staged and costumed Commedia dell'Arte theater project with Baroque Band and Continuo; directed by Amy and Jonathan Brumley. To audition for a singing role, send a CD of one Italian song or aria to: 4504 Rosedale Avenue, Austin, TX 78756 OR to arrange a live audition for a singing or speaking role, call 512-627-8926. Audition deadline May 1, 2006.
Note: rehearsals for this will be during the final period of the afternoon, and one extra period per day will be used for individual coaching. For more info, send email to Amy.